Planner III - Boston, MA/Taunton, MA/Westfield, MA/Lincoln, RI
Boston, MA 02108
Perform the planning-related activities for a variety of transportation and urban planning projects with a commitment to improving communities through multimodal transportation, making it easier, safer, more efficient, and attractive to walk, bike, and use transit and emerging mobility options. Projects may involve elements such as Complete Streets design, Vision Zero, First/Last Mile connections to transit, Transportation Demand Management, transit service planning, parking studies, pedestrian and bicycle facilities for all ages, environmental sustainability, landscape architecture, and community planning.
Do the Work
- Perform all aspects of planning projects, including preparing maps and graphics for public and client meetings, data analysis, drafting formal reports and documents, performing field reviews and data collection, conducting research on trends and best practices, contributing to stakeholder and public engagement efforts, preparing proposals, developing solutions to complex problems, and presenting recommendations.
- Prepare conceptual plans for various projects.
- Lead in the preparation of feasibility studies and reports.
- Lead in the preparation of submittal documents to obtain permits.
- Lead in the preparation of grant applications and associated services related to funding programs.
- Research, analyze, compile and display data for problem solving and official publication regarding planning issues.
- Compile and assimilate reports and records for documentation purposes, accountability and future reference such as impact studies, population data and analysis, maps, and diagrams.
Education, Work Experience, Licensure/Certifications, and Technical Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in urban planning, landscape architecture or related field required.
- Master's degree in City/Urban/Regional/Community Planning, Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Planning, Public Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Minimum of five or more (5+) years of professional experience required, planning experience preferred.
- AICP preferred.
- Experience with computer applications systems and design software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Knowledge of 3D modeling programs, graphic design applications, and ArcGIS is strongly preferred.
- Valid state driver's license and ability to successfully pass a motor vehicle check or reliable form of transportation to/from the office and/or project site strongly preferred.
Success Metrics and Competencies
Ideal candidate will consistently demonstrate...
- Ability to work both independently and within a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time-sensitive projects/tasks.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization and external partners.
- Effective working relationship with internal leaders and peers, as well as external clients.
- High degree of discretion and ability to manage highly confidential information.
- Highly motivated and problem-solving attitude with a strong work ethic.
- Strong sense of urgency in responding to constituents.
- Commitment to promoting the reputation of the company through quality of work.
- Aspirations to grow professionally and advance within the company.
- Strong data analysis and interpretation skills.
- Commitment to driving profitability and growth.
- Ability to comfortably support community engagement programs, activities, and public meetings. Direct experience preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in multimodal transportation planning and engineering.
- Effective communication, presentation, writing, and graphic skills, including public speaking, written reports, presentation materials and technical writing.
- Commitment to becoming a "citizen" of the broader organization, breaking down barriers and silos.
Leadership and Direction
- Receive broad guidance relating to overall key objectives, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters and general parameters for execution. Receive direction as needed, and especially on highly complex assignments. Independently apply extensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields. Review work produced by staff for quality assurance.
- May work with team of colleagues in equivalent roles to share technical proficiency, guidance, mentorship to junior staff, and delegation of assignments. May occasionally provide feedback to managers.
At the Operational and Company Level
- Assist with the marketing of the firm's capabilities to establish new clients and enhance relationships.
- Work closely with more senior members to learn about and assist with transportation engineering and planning work.
- Coordinate with other disciplines and internal services/groups/offices as necessary.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
- Primarily indoor professional office environment which may include bright/dim light, noise, fumes, odors, and traffic.
- Mobility around an office environment.
- Frequent and prolonged use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Occasional outdoor work environment which may include adverse weather conditions, varying temperatures, excessive noise, and/or potential hazards.
- Mobility around a job/construction site to include walking, bending, crawling, climbing, squatting, or kneeling and wearing of required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Primarily local travel during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be required according to the needs of the business.
- Occasional lifting or carrying up to 20 pounds.
- Occasional pushing or pulling up to 20 pounds.
- Occasional reaching outward or above shoulder.
Note: While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, it is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary at any time with or without notice.