Senior Mechanical Engineer - Herndon, VA
Herndon, VA 20170
Perform all levels of mechanical design including the development of construction documents.
Leadership and Direction
- Receive broad guidance relating to overall key objectives, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters and broad parameters for execution. Receive direction on highly complex assignments. Independently apply extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields. Review work produced by staff for quality assurance.
At the Operational and Company Level
- Actively market the firm's capabilities to establish new clients and enhance relationships with existing clients.
- Serve as a mentor, resource, and trainer for Design Engineers and less experienced Project Engineers.
- Represent project team in client communications and resolutions.
Do the Work
- Design complex mechanical systems in accordance with current code requirements and sound engineering principles.
- Responsible for more complex tasks and/or designs within project assignments.
- Resolves complex design issues with clients.
- Apply broad knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Oversee designs through project construction/completion.
- Communicate effectively with engineers, project manager, and the client.
- Conduct field observations visits to accurately document the existing field conditions.
- Organize/prioritize multiple tasks to complete the design in a sequential efficient manner.
- Accurately produce the project construction documents to meet milestone schedules within a predetermined hourly budget.
- Assist in developing construction cost estimates for mechanical systems.
- Attend coordination and design meetings, as needed.
- Define and determine project specifications and budget construction cost estimating.
- Address comments from clients, AHJ's & other review authorities; adjust designs accordingly.
- If directed, review all project related construction administrative items (shop drawings, RFI's, change order proposals).
- Work within established project budgets.
- Possess and continue to develop a working knowledge of all codes applicable to the discipline.
- Possess and continue to develop a working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit software.
Success Metrics and Competencies
Ideal candidate will consistently demonstrate...
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization and external partners.
- Highly motivated and problem-solving attitude.
- Strong sense of urgency in responding to constituents.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to quality.
- Commitment to promoting the reputation of the company through quality of work.
- Aspirations to grow professionally and advance within the company.
Education, Work Experience, Licensure/Certifications, and Technical Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or architectural Engineering required.
- Ten or more (10+) years of relevant industry-related experience, in design of commercial, government, academic, R&D, high-rise multi-family, industrial and similar projects.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, REVIT, CHVAC/RHVAC, TraneTrace, and/or eQuest modeling software.
- EIT and LEED accreditation strongly preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license strongly preferred.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
- Primarily indoor professional office environment which may include bright/dim light, noise, fumes, odors, and traffic.
- Mobility around an office environment.
- Frequent and prolonged use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Occasionally outdoor work environment which may include adverse weather conditions, varying temperatures, excessive noise, and/or potential hazards.
- Mobility around a job/construction site to include walking, bending, crawling, climbing, squatting, or kneeling and wearing of required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Occasional lifting or carrying up to 20 pounds.
- Occasional pushing or pulling up to 20 pounds.
- Occasional reaching outward or above shoulder.
Note: While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, it is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary at any time with or without notice.