Job Title: Senior Solutions Architect
Reports To: Manager
Career Path: SME
Clearance: As required by the contract
G&H International Services, Inc. (G&H) works on developing and implementing programs that help build community resilience. We are looking for people who are excited to solve big problems and who have a proven track record with applying technology in innovative ways to improve community resilience. Our teams consist of highly skilled technologists, researchers, subject matter experts, and project managers who can analyze customer needs and determine what solutions are required to address problems/needs of our customers. We leverage and integrate commonly used web-based technology platforms and services, including Esri's ArcGIS, Microsoft 365/Azure, Amazon Web Services, and others to create new capabilities that enhance decision making and resource management.
At G&H, Senior Solution Architects interact directly with clients to conceive and implement technology solutions. They demonstrate a high level of technical expertise in a wide variety of software use and development, as well as web-based solution development. This individual is a key member of the technical consulting team and interacts directly with clients and other members of the team to conceive and implement technology solutions for our government, not for profit and private sector customers.
The Senior Solution Architect's responsibility is to understand and evaluate our client's business requirements and come up with solutions in the form of products or services. Once a problem/need is identified, it is the Solution Architect's responsibility to not only find answers but to also lead the technical vision actively to success.
Solution architecture at G&H plays a central role in our efforts to introduce and successfully implement innovative technology solutions for our customers. First, Solution Architects closely look at how the different elements of business, information, and technology can be applied to solve a specific problem. Next, the Solution Architect proposes a combination of building blocks that can provide the best possible fix/solution. This process is very detail-oriented and serves as a connecting piece between enterprise architecture and technical architecture. It also requires a breadth of knowledge in the technical and business inner workings of our client's organizations.
After Solution Architects have designed a solution for an existing problem, it is their job to manage the tasks and activities that are involved with its successful implementation. During the entire process, they oversee all technological risks and make sure that the described solution proves to be consistent while meeting all the necessary requirements. They coordinate ongoing activities and translate the design concept to IT operations. Thus, Solution Architects most resemble project managers who make sure that everyone involved, including the stakeholders, are on the same page and moving in the right direction throughout all phases of a client engagement/project.
The Senior Solution Architect possesses a high level of technical expertise and is expected to become an expert with all aspects of core competencies and methodologies and risk management as it relates to product launches. Also, the Senior Solutions Architect strives to develop best practice processes, solutions and components that can be re-used across current and future projects at G&H.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Abides by Company core, leadership, and technical competencies
- Demonstrates the Company values through own behaviors
- Communicates a clear vision/strategy; sets clear priorities and aligns all activities
- Supports development of formalized solution methodologies
- Develops best practice processes, solutions and components that can be re-used across current and future projects
- Authors or oversees authorship of white papers to provide insight and thought leadership within the solution area
- Manages technical teams who are responsible for driving service lines within the solution area
- Assists with defining project team requirements for projects within the solution area
- Develops and executes solution strategy and business plan to support the growth - shapes, designs, and plans specific service lines
- Spearheads the marketing and promotion of the solution area within and outside of organization
- Surveys landscape and market for solution insights, direction, vendors, and methodologies
- Provides proposal inputs and technical approach information
- Maintains repository of deliverables, methodologies, and business development initiatives
- Represents the company to different clients and participates in initiatives to improve the company's image and ability to deliver value-added services
- Assists with developing marketing materials and positioning strategies for the solution area
- Assists in the business development life cycle by serving as a solution Subject Matter Expert (SME) in order to assist in the identification and qualification of business development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintains and enhances client relationships
- Serves as visionary and strategist for client solutions and client delivery
- Conducts architectural system evaluations and analyzes technology environments
- Gathers client requirements, analyzes technical and business requirements, writes functional and technical specifications, and communicates technical requirements to client and team
- Authors, reviews, and presents technical information into clear, readable documents to be used by technical and non-technical personnel
- Creates solution prototypes and controls solution development and deployment
- Deploys applications/services to cloud services, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Configures and extends COTS ArcGIS Online or Portal applications using arcade or python scripting
- Provides the highest level of quality assurance for all work, products, and services
- Delivers timely and quality services or products that meet or exceed client's expectations
- Demonstrates high level of commitment to client success while responding to changes in client expectations; monitors and uses client feedback
- Knowledgeable of critical success factors for the client and client's industry
- Other duties as assigned
Supervision: Provides management and supervision through motivation, mentoring, direction, review, and feedback of assigned tasks. Solution Architects must be capable of using resources efficiently and effectively. Resource management is crucial to staying within the budget, meeting deadlines, and providing a well-rounded solution without hiccups.
- Bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree with at least 10 years of related experience with implementing large-scale solutions that involve system integrations. Background in GIS highly preferred.
- Expert communicator - must be capable of clearly communicating the technical aspects, risks, challenges and selling points of solutions. Must be capable of providing advice, explanation, empathy, influence, and negotiation skills to navigate the solution with prowess.
- Practical skills and knowledge of operating systems, infrastructure and engineering design, DevOps, system security measures, business analysis, database management, cloud development, web platforms, hardware/software management, network administration and project/product management.
- Detail oriented - must ensure constant and consistent evaluation of every aspect of solution development and delivery to understand what is valuable, versus what is insignificant.
- Risk management and identification - must be able to identify, evaluate and assess risks to mitigate them and eliminate any factor that may hinder successful delivery of solutions. Must know how to identify and reduce the threat of risks via tests in performance, security, user experience, and other areas.
- Mastery of software development process and technical skills. Because a Solution Architect deals with many technical disciplines, it is important they are well informed about all elements that play a role in G&H's solutions. Specific areas are mentioned below.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile, DevOps, Waterfall, and Rapid Application Development methodologies.
- Advanced proficiency with the Web, MS Office, and SharePoint.
- Experience working with RDBMS, such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or MySQL.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using Microsoft Power Platform, Dataverse and Teams Toolkit.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcSDE and ArcGIS Server.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with WebEOC or other emergency management incident management systems.
- Experience with using Git to manage code.
- Experience working in public safety, including the disaster response and preparedness community.
- One or more of the following professional certifications highly preferred, but not required:
- Certified Emergency Manager (CEM)
- Certified in Public Health (CPH)
- Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP)
- Master Exercise Practitioner (MEP)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Change Management Professional (CCMP)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Interpersonal Skills - Engages in face-to-face exchange of thoughts, ideas, feelings, and emotions with others; includes both verbal and nonverbal elements of personal interaction.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Verbal and Written Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read, interpret and verbalize written information.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment; builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritize and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills - Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, proposals, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to question activities and issues in all functional areas and make sound business decisions based on that data.
- Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, type, or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
G&H International is an EEO employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. G&H International participates in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internship. G&H International makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs.